Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sandy resident Allie Erickson living her marathon dream

By Justin Anderson

A year ago tomorrow, Allie Erickson of Sandy, Utah, lined up at the starting line of the Ogden Marathon with one goal in mind – qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Erickson knew this would be no easy task, and would require her to run with an average pace of about eight minutes per mile, or a time of 3:35.

That year she had broken her wrist, requiring her to undergo multiple surgeries, and she had a bright orange cast on her arm. Erickson wrote her bib number on the cast and began her race. As she crossed the finish line her time read 3:22:1 – she had done it. She would be running in Boston.

Running has been a part of the Erickson’s lives for a long time. This year, the family is rallying around 22-year-old Allie, as she will be running in her first-ever Boston Marathon.

This year’s marathon will likely be the most followed event since the race began 118 years ago, after a bombing attack last year that left three people dead and many more injured.

For Allie Erickson, the ability to race in the Boston Marathon is something she’s been looking forward to for a long time.

“It has been my dream for years to run the Boston marathon,” she said. “It's almost like the ultimate dream for the amateur competitive runner. Last year just seemed like the right year to qualify. I had gotten faster over the years and knew I could do it.”

 “I think every marathon runner wants to run Boston. It is the pinnacle,” said Elaine Erickson, Allie’s mother. “We are anticipating a terrific atmosphere, especially this year with the large number of runners and the extra attention due to the events of last year.”

Allie followed the race closely last year.

“I remember turning on the news and the horrific feeling I got when I saw what was happening,” Allie said. “I was training to qualify for this year's Boston, so I had been following the race that day and was excited about the winners.

“I was imagining what it would be like if I could make it there the next year. So turning on the news and seeing the great day I had been envisioning turning into a nightmare for all those runners and spectators hit pretty close to home,” she said.

Last year Boston hosted 23,342 runners, although the attacks caused 5,742 to be unable to finish the race. This year, those who couldn’t finish the race last year are being welcomed back to compete in the race again. This will be the largest Boston Marathon ever to take place, with 35,660 runners expected to participate.

“I look up to her as a runner,” said Olivia Erickson, Allie’s younger sister. “When I was little, it was really fun to go and watch her races when she was in high school and on the track and cross country teams.

Allie’s two younger sisters hope to some day follow in her footsteps

“I would like to run Boston one day,” said 19-year-old Jenna Erickson. “I think it would be a great experience; hopefully with Allie’s help I will be able to qualify someday.”

“My family and I are all very excited for Allie to run Boston,” Olivia said. “I would like to run it someday too. It is a very big thing for a runner to make it to Boston; not every marathoner can do it.”

Allie’s mom explained the qualities she feels has led Allie to be successful in distance running.


“Allie is a very committed runner and has trained very well for this race. I expect her to do well,” Elaine said. “She is, by nature, self-motivated, driven and high achieving. When she crosses the finish line it will be seeing her accomplish another goal. I am happy for her to have the chance to participate in such a great event.”

2 comments:

  1. Our hearts and our hopes will be running with you, Allie. Just your being a participant is making your family exceedingly proud.
    You go, girl!
    Love from GrandmaBeth

    ReplyDelete